Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Weapon of Love

Here is an excellent presentation from the War and Peace Conference. David Pulispher summarizes the Ammonite Conundrum. The Ammonites are presented as great pacifists yet their sons are presented as the greatest examples of righteous warriors. He instead takes away the Pacifist/Just War dichotomy and instead presents the good, better, and best options.

Session 2 - J. David Pulsipher, "The Ammonite Conundrum" from LDS WarPeace on Vimeo.



The most intriguing aspect of his presentation was his "Best" option. He modified Gandhi's teaching and called it the "Weapon of Love". This struck me because I used the same terminology in responding to my wife's misbehavior and in my attempts to save my marriage. I enjoyed the presentation, and it was an extremely pleasant treat to know that in the worst moments of my life I respond the way the Gandhi and the Savior would!

2 comments:

Michaela Stephens said...

Thanks for sharing this. Fascinating.

diogenes said...

I appreciated your being there even if I did not agree with your overall position. And ditto as the David Pulsipher's presentation. I found it an effective bridge between differing points of view by framing it as "good, better and best." I do admire your analysis whether I agree with the conclusions or not. your fellow lecturer,
Ron Madson